Field Hockey Senior Night

Words: Giana Han

The Lady Eagles enjoyed a victory over Reservoir in the Senior Night game on Oct. 14.

The Lady Eagles controlled the field hockey field for the majority of the first half. At 10:16, Margaret Maclean, one of the senior captains, scored the first goal of the game and grabbed a lead for the Eagles.

At six minutes, Reservoir’s Allison Costenbader tied the game at 1-1 with the Gator’s first goal. The first half ended with a score of 1-1.

The second half was an intense battle for the lead, and the two teams were neck and neck until 7:53, when senior Robin Cagle scored the Eagle’s second goal. This goal carried the Eagles to the win at the end of the game, with a final score of 2-1.

“We played really hard,” said Crowe. “It was definitely very scary when it got tied.”

“With coming off of homecoming, the bad weather which kept us from practicing, and the heat today, they were phenomenal,” said the head coach, Tara Carr. “Those were the major deterrents, and they played through and came out on top.”

The final score of the game is also the final score that seniors Kay Kelly, Margaret Maclean, Kathryn Peterson, Mary Crowe, and Robin Cagle will ever celebrate over on that field in the regular season.

Maclean has been contributing to the team’s success since her freshman year. “I’m going to miss all the girls,” said Maclean. “Every year we’re a family. We make it that way, we’re all sisters.”

The team will miss their seniors, but they are lucky enough to have a strong base between the juniors who will be returning next year, the sophomores, and the two freshmen, Mary Baldy and Maggie Sullivan.

These players are major contributors to the team, and will lead the team in future seasons, but nonetheless, the seniors will be missed.

“It’s hard every year to watch them start as quiet freshmen and become leaders,” said Carr. “The juniors have big shoes to fill.”