Holidays Affect Focus

Words: Vaishnavi Mahalingam

Many students are looking forward to the approaching winter break.  The idea is tantalizing – no school, relaxation, travel, and spending time with family.  However, do these holiday breaks affect focus in school?  It’s fair to say that hardly anyone wants to do any serious work before a break, much less take a test or complete a project.  

According to English teacher Kelli McDonough, holidays and holiday breaks are a good thing.  She stated that a time for students to relax is beneficial, as it provides them with a well deserved several weeks to visit their family and do what makes them happy. But, it is important for the students to keep in mind that they still have school before and after the break.

Sophomore Alexandra Pavao agrees that the approach of holidays does negatively impact focus in school, but she says that there is another dimension to lack of focus near holidays.  “It’s not just the break itself, it’s what the break represents,” she commented.  “You also have to worry about your holiday plans – what gifts you’re going to get for your family, where you’re going to travel, and what you’re going to do when you get there.”

Holidays are a time for enjoyment, but the idea of nearly being out of school combined with the thought of holiday plans and responsibilities might cause students to lose focus in school.

For more breaking news and photos, follow The Wingspan on Instagram and Twitter @CHSWingspan.