The Wingspan

Centennial High School's Daily Online News Source

The Wingspan

The Wingspan

Girls’ Soccer Loses in State Semifinal

Words: Zach Grable

On Saturday, November 12, the Centennial Eagles Girls’ Varsity Soccer team played the Urbana Hawks in the 3A State Semifinals at Linganore High School.

Although temperatures approached freezing, this very important game brought many fans from each school to the stadium.

The first half was scoreless. Centennial had multiple opportunities from senior Jasmine McCree, junior Kelli Dunagan, and sophomore Mckenna Griffin, yet they could not finish. The Hawks didn’t have as many opportunities, but also could not put one through the net. This was mainly because of the Eagles’ strong defense, led by seniors Sandy Eichhorn, Madi Griffin, and Cristina Narron, and junior Claudia Pilcher.

Mid way through the second half, Urbana had a breakaway that led to the first and only goal of the game. There was some controversy about this goal because it could have been offsides. With about twelve minutes left in the game, Centennial tried their best to tie, or even win, the game. They had some chances, including a shot by Narron that hit the crossbar. The Eagles were running low on time, and had one final chance to score. A corner by sophomore Ashley Deng could’ve tied the game for Centennial, but it was kicked out by an Urbana player. The final score was 1-0, Urbana.

Centennial fought until the end and had a great season, winning the Regional Finals for the first time since 2004. The Eagles hope to have a good season next year with many returning players.

For more breaking news and photos, follow The Wingspan on Instagram and Twitter @CHSWingspan.