Centennial Cross Country Wins Big at 3A East Regional Championships

Words: Joey Sedlacko

Photos: Delanie Tucker

On Thursday afternoon, November 1, Centennial High School hosted the 3A East Regional Cross Country Championships. It was a big day for Centennial, as both the Centennial Boys’ and Girls’ Cross Country teams were able to take home the regional championship.

The boys’ team placed second at last year’s regional championships, but this year they scored 34 points to secure their first place finish. Four runners from Centennial placed in the top ten.

Sophomore Jacob Cole placed third with a time of 16:45. Following Cole, senior Chris Bieberich finished fourth at 16:54. Senior David Riina came in at seventh after running a 17:04, and senior Justin Ziegler crossed the finish line six seconds later to secure eighth place.

The girls’ team scored 35 to achieve a first place victory and secure their second regional championship in a row. The girls team had four runners finish in the top ten.

Senior Cora Blount placed second with a time of 20:18. In fourth place with a time of 20:41 was senior Alison Betler. Sophomore Katerina Talanova finished seventh after running a 20:59, and junior Apoorva Ajith secured tenth place at 21:29.

Centennial Cross Country now looks towards their biggest race of the year, the state championships. The state meet will take place on November 10 at Hereford High School at 10:00am.

For more breaking news and photos, follow The Wingspan on Instagram and Twitter @CHSWingspan.