Changes to the Cell Phone Policy

Words: Miranda Mason

Beginning at the start of the 2013-2014 school year, a new cell phone and electronics policy was put into place at Centennial High School and other Howard County schools.

According to the Personal Communication Device Guidelines on Centennial’s website, students many now use their cell phones or communication devices in two designated zones: hallways and the cafeteria. However, students must turn all devices on silent mode and store them out of sight before they enter their classrooms. Use of communication devices in bathrooms and locker rooms is also prohibited.

This policy was put into place due partially to efforts by Centennial’s Student School Improvement Team, along with groups from other Howard County schools, according to Assistant Principal Joelle Miller.

“We had a Student School Improvement Team, and a subcommittee for the cell phone policy,” said Miller. “The central office was planning on reviewing the policy and ended up revising it.”

In previous years, the policy required all electronic devices to be turned off and out of sight from 7:25 am to 2:10 pm. Although the policy has changed, Centennial staff is still able to confiscate any electronic devices that are being used out of the designated zones.