The Wingspan

Centennial High School's Daily Online News Source

The Wingspan

The Wingspan

Delta Scholars – “Service and Sisterhood”

Words: Caroline Chu and Vaishnavi Mahalingam

Many of Centennial’s clubs center on volunteering, community service, or cultural awareness, and the Delta Scholars is a group involved in all three.

Designed to empower female minorities living in Howard County, the Scholars branch at Centennial, sponsored by Mrs. Shalonda Holt and Mrs. Antoinette Roberson, Delta Scholars was formed during the second semester of the 2012-2013 school year at the request of Dr. Carl Perkins, the Centennial’s former principal.

The group coordinates workshops, discussions, cultural, and community events. The club, which requires a minimum unweighted 3.0 GPA for admittance, aims to promote academic excellence and offer community service opportunities to young women.

Last year, the Delta Scholars organized Food for the Soul, Words for the Heart, a slam poetry presentation to raise funds.  The club frequently collaborates with the Alpha Achievers, its male equivalent, and the Black Student Union.

Kendra Grissom, the co-president, described her experience enrolling in the society.  Grissom moved to Centennial during her sophomore year, and here she learned about Delta Scholars.

“[The club was] a safe haven – a place where I could go, with people who could understand me,” Grissom said.

The Delta Scholars plan to engage in multiple events in the upcoming school year, including hosting the Homecoming Dress Drive and selling funnel cakes at the Homecoming Carnival on October 9.

At least once a quarter, they intend to set up a pop-up soup kitchen, which involves packaging meals for the homeless in Howard and Baltimore counties.

On October 13, new members of the club will receive pins and roses at the induction ceremony.

“It’s all about service and sisterhood,” said Grissom.

Mrs. Holt is looking forward to expanding, enjoying community events, and engaging in more volunteer opportunities.

“We started off with such a small group… seeing the amount of girls today was just wonderful,” Holt commented after a recent meeting.  “I’m so excited… to see where it’s started to where it’s come now – it’s just amazing.”

For more breaking news and photos, follow The Wingspan on Instagram and Twitter @CHSWingspan.