Track Counties

Words: Zach Grable

On Monday, May 8, and Tuesday, May 9, the Centennial High School Boys’ and Girls’ Track and Field teams participated in Counties. Centennial had many athletes that came in top 5 for multiple events.

Monday was a successful day for many of the Eagles. For the Boys’ 3200m, junior Greg Costello had a time of 10:09(4th).  In the Girls’ 3200m, sophomore Alison Betler and junior Kirsten Wikner had times of 11:50(4th) and 11:59(5th), respectively. Senior Elijah White came in 1st place for the Boys’ High Jump with a height of 6ft and 2 in, and Boys’ Long Jump with a length of 20ft and 11 in. Junior Ryan Paterson came in 3rd for Boys’ Shot Put with a distance of 41ft and 2 in. Junior Kelly Simmons came in 6th place for Girls’ Discus with a distance of 93 ft and 9 in, and sophomore Leila Avery came in 7th with a distance of 89ft and 9in.  Senior Jasmine McCree came in 2nd for the Girls’ Triple Jump with a length of 34ft and 1in. For the Girls’ 4x800m Relay, seniors Olivia O’Connell, Mary Monroe, and Alli Krahe, and sophomore Caroline Shimeall came in 5th with a time of 10:06. For the Boys’ 4x200m Relay, senior Eli Ross, juniors Parker Tevell and Juan Parra, and sophomore Vernon Batson came in 4th with a time of 1:34.
Tuesday was also a good day for the Eagles. Junior Jason Salitt came in 4th place for the Boys’ 110m Hurdles with a time of 16.28 seconds. For the Boys’ 4x100m Relay, Ross, White, Parra, and Batson came in 4th place with a time of 43.93, which is also a school record. For the Boys’ 4x400m Relay, Costello, Parra, Erik Keleman, Tewell came in 8th place with a time of 3:33. Paterson finished 4th for Boys’ Discus with a distance of 120 ft and 9in. White finished 1st for Boys’ Triple Jump and now holds a County Championship meet record with a length of 46ft and 6 in, and Anthony Matthew finished 6th with a length of 39ft and 9in.  For the Boys’ 1600m Costello came in 4th with a time of 4:31. Betler came in 4th with a time of 5:22 for the Girls’ 1600m. For the Girls 4x400m Relay, O’Connell, Monroe, McCree, and Krahe finished 2nd with a time of 4:12. Simmons finished 8th for Girls’ Shot Put with a distance of 28 ft and 7in.

For more breaking news and photos, follow The Wingspan on Instagram and Twitter @CHSWingspan