BSAP Honors Their Seniors

Words: Madison Baltimore

On Friday, May 17, seniors of African American heritage were celebrated for their achievements. The evening started with welcoming announcements from Walter Pearson, president of the Parent Council for Black Students (PCBS), Sydney Butler, Black Student Achievement Program (BSAP) liaison, and Centennial’s very own principal, Cynthia Dillon.

A potluck dinner began the night, consisting of a variety of finger-foods, drinks and desserts. As families were finishing up their meals, Hadeel Hamoud, Centennial Alum from the class of 2018, spoke to the attending seniors about her first year at college and how it was very different from what she had initially expected.

Butler proceeded Hamoud with a slideshow presentation of all the graduating seniors, including a senior portrait, what clubs or groups they were involved in and their plans for after graduation. Each senior was then invited to the front to receive their BSAP stole and students in Delta Scholars received their chords.

Mark Kabue, vice president of PCBS, presented the winners of the annual Book Scholarship Award. This year, two students tied for the scholarship money, Olumoroti Adewole and Nicole Attram.

Centennial guidance counselors Jennifer McKechnie and JaeHi Hebler also made an appearance at the event to congratulate the graduating seniors for their achievements and accomplishments.

pb/dt/nkg/ks

For more breaking news and photos, follow The Wingspan on Instagram and Twitter @CHSWingspan.