The Wingspan

Centennial High School's Daily Online News Source

The Wingspan

The Wingspan

Centennial Boys’ Soccer Nearly Complete Comeback Against Rival Mount Hebron


Words: Shawn Kruhm

Photos: Eliza Andrew

After taking a day to recover from a tough loss to Howard on Tuesday, the Boys’ Soccer team hit the road and faced off against their toughest rival. 

On Thursday, September 12, Centennial tied Mount Hebron in the team’s closest game thus far. The final score was 2-2 after the teams battled in not one, but two overtimes as neither team could pull away. 

Neither team was able to get anything going offensively in the opening 20 minutes. Shortly after that Centennial was able to take the first lead of the game.

With 18:40 remaining in the first half, junior Bryson Baker made a solo run down the left sideline. After beating his defender, Baker shot a rocket to the top right corner to beat the goalie. The visitors section, filled with Centennial students and parents, immediately rose to their feet to applaud the team.

Despite gaining momentum from Baker’s goal, Centennial’s defense was unable to hold the opposing offense as Mount Hebron scored before entering halftime. 

Both teams got off to another slow start to open the second half. Tremendous defense played by both teams resulted in equal possession time. 

Mount Hebron took the lead towards the middle of the second half and Centennial struggled to answer.

With under two minutes remaining in regulation, the game seemed nearly out of reach. After a fundamental tackle from senior Zach Grable, Baker dribbled the ball down the field. As defenders closed in, Baker made a flawless pass down the left side. 

Junior Tim Woerner received the ball and switched it towards the middle of the field. After dribbling past two defenders, Woerner found himself eight yards out with only the goalie in front of him. Woerner dropped the ball in the top left corner, giving the goalie no chance at a save.

The sea of white from Centennial’s student section erupted. The team had done the unexpected. Woerner scored the equalizer goal when just about everyone had lost hope. 

The game extended into two overtimes in which no one was able to score. The final score was 2-2. 

“I’ve been dealing with numerous injuries, so much so that this moment seemed impossible,” said Woerner. “Some people may just look at it as the equalizer, but for me this means everything, and this is just the beginning.”


For more breaking news and photos, follow The Wingspan on Instagram and Twitter @CHSWingspan

More to Discover