The Wingspan

Centennial High School's Daily Online News Source

The Wingspan

The Wingspan

Boys’ Basketball Defeats Atholton in Season Opener

Words: Zach Grable

On Wednesday, December 7, the Centennial Eagles Boys’ Varsity Basketball team hosted Atholton High School for the 2016-17 season opener.

The gymnasium roared as the starting five on Centennial stormed the court. Fans were screaming and jumping as the referee threw the ball in the air for the first tipoff of the season.

The Eagles’ student section quickly died down as the Raiders scored 12 straight points. After a timeout was called by head coach Chad Hollwedel, Centennial got back into the game. As they started scoring more and more points, the fans got on their feet again. The home-court advantage pressured Atholton into making multiple turnovers throughout the second quarter. Clutch plays by senior Elijah White and juniors Andrew Hohmann and Kaleb Addisu contributed the most to the Eagle’s lead.

Throughout the third quarter, Centennial controlled the game. Atholton shortened the Eagle’s lead by a little, but a fast-break dunk by White made the gym shake. Centennial students and parents were going crazy as White celebrated with his teammates. This was a big turning point in the game as the Eagles maintained their momentum.

Centennial held on to win the game 60-55.

The team’s next game is against rival Mt. Hebron on December 14, at home.

For more breaking news and photos, follow The Wingspan on Instagram and Twitter @CHSWingspan.