Centennial’s Speech and Debate Club

Words: Reem Hashmi

The Centennial Speech and Debate Club is the place to be if you enjoy participating in group discussions, love an argument, thrive on controversy, or just need a place to voice your opinion. This club splits into two separate groups: speech and debate. The creatively driven speech group focuses more on humorous interpretations, poetry and prose, and original oratory, whereas the debate group is research-centered and analytical. Meetings are held every Wednesday in Room 412 sponsored by Ms. Flynn. The club’s team will be participating at local speech and debate tournaments at the following locations/times:

Tournament 1 – 10/21 at Marriotts Ridge High School

Tournament 2 – 11/11 at Loyola-Blakefield School

Tournament 3 – 11/18 at Arundel High School

The public forum debate-style competition, is known for analyzing resolutions that are “ripped from the headlines.” Their current debatable topic is centered on whether the deployment of anti-missile systems is beneficial for South Korea. Co-President Katie Gao said, “We started the team as sophomores, so it’s been going three years strong… Being good at public speaking is not required, after all; that’s what we’re here for.  We’re also hoping to host our own tournament at Centennial this January, which would be a great experience.”

The Speech and Debate Club Co-Presidents are Katie Gao and Polly Moser, Vice President is Amber Fang, and Secretary is Kristen Lee.

For more breaking news and photos, follow The Wingspan on Instagram and Twitter @CHSWingspan.