The Wingspan

Centennial High School's Daily Online News Source

The Wingspan

The Wingspan

Spirit Week: Seniors vs. Freshmen Perspective

Words: Celina Wong

From Monday, September 24, to Friday, September 28, Centennial High School students show their school pride by participating in spirit week. The week is designated for students to celebrate homecoming by dressing up in different themes on each day. The freshmen and the seniors lend their perspectives on how spirit week is for them.

Spirit week is always a highly anticipated week because it offers a break from the regular routine.

“Without spirit week and extracurriculars, school just feels like education. Spirit week makes high school three dimensional,” said senior Alana Germroth.

Seniors set the tone for the school and an example for the underclassmen. Germroth feels that seniors have a significant impact during this iconic week.

“As seniors, I feel like we have to be role models and encourage other people in all grades to do it,” Germroth noted.

For the freshmen, spirit week is a whole new world that they did not experience in middle school.

“We didn’t have spirit week days that were planned out by the school, but now that we’re in high school, we have that opportunity and we want to take it,” stated freshman Michelle Hershfeld and Sarah Arcuri.

This year, a group of freshmen have decided to participate in an alternative spirit week. Student Government Association (SGA) President, Stacy Lee, commented on the most controversial day, gender switch day.

“I definitely don’t think it’s a great idea, but it comes down to you do what you want to do. [SGA] just wants to emphasize that we want people to be respectful to certain groups.”

Seniors are examples for the rest of the school, while freshmen are experiencing a whole new world. Around the school, it is easy to see people, from freshmen to seniors, dressed up in pajamas, or Hawaiian shirts, and especially in their class colors in order to show their school pride.

For more breaking news and photos, follow The Wingspan on Instagram and Twitter @CHSWingspan.