Feeding on Jazz

Words: Thomas Hitt

Photos Contributed by: Thomas Hitt

Centennial High School hosted the Jazz Feeder Concert on Wednesday, February 5. The concert included a performance by both Northfield and Centennial Lane Elementary Schools, Burleigh Manor Middle School and both of Centennial High School’s jazz bands. Additionally, there was a small performance by Centennial’s Dixie band, whose name comes from a style of music that developed in New Orleans during the 20th century.

To open the night, Centennial’s Dixie band played “A Closer Walk with Thee” and “That’s a Plenty.” The members included Colin Eng on clarinet, Josh Oberly on trumpet, Henry Bar-Or on trombone, Nate Fleming on Banjo, Chris Lidard on sousaphone, and Adam Goldstein on washboard.

Centennial Lane’s jazz band performed second, playing their school’s theme song followed by “Bad Attitude” and then “Rock Around the Clock.”

Northfield’s jazz band took the stage next, and performed “Blues Machine” and a rock tune called “In the Zone.”

Following Northfield’s performance, Burleigh’s first jazz band performed under the direction of Patrick McSwain. The second Burleigh jazz band, directed by Matt Dubbs, played next. 

Centennial High School’s two jazz bands concluded the night. 

James Kranz and his jazz band played “Four” featuring a trombone solo and a tenor sax solo. They then finished their set with “Blue Rondo A La Turk.” 

To close out the jazzy night, Centennial’s next jazz band, directed by David Matchim, performed. They played “Ruby, My Dear” featuring a trombone solo by Jack Keane. The next song to be played was “A Night in Tunisia.”

Reflecting on the the night, junior Colin Eng said, “Getting to see young musicians play a genre that has been in decline with such passion and enjoyment is one of my favorite moments of the year.”

nk/dt/nkg
For more breaking news and photos, follow The Wingspan on Instagram and Twitter @CHSWingspan.