Girls and boys varsity basketball: The secret to a successful team

This winter sports season, Girls Varsity Basketball Coach Stefan and Boys Varsity Basketball Coach Slopek are certain that their teams will have lots of success, both on the court, and off.

For Slopek, his hope is that his team will make it back to the state quarterfinal, where they made it last year before being defeated by River Hill. To him, a major key to their success is to build up the team chemistry to create a special bond. “We have a great mix of seniors and underclassmen who have a lot of potential,” Slopek says, “I’m excited to see how well we grow as a team and handle adversity.” On the roster this season, Slopek highlights some of the bright faces he thinks will make their mark on the team. Adrien Nyom, Senior Forward, was a key to the success of the team in previous seasons, and is sure to make an impact again. By creating tough matchups for defense, his ability to shoot the three and to get to the rim very well, and his ability to be a team leader, Nyom is one of the team’s strongest players. Charlie Crabtree, Senior Guard, “is a strong ball handler who can get to the basket and finish well,” Slopek said. With his great jump shot, Slopek is excited to see him showcase his ability to shoot and drive. Josh Frazier, Junior Guard, is one of the best athletes in the county, and is a returning SecondTeam All-County from last year, impressing coaches through the season. From his great outside shot going with his ability to finish the lane, he is a vital member of the team. Ryan Doody, Guard, may only be a Sophomore, but his impact on the team is undeniable. Slopek describes him as being one of the smartest guards at Centennial, and “is very composed and a great competitor.” Slopek emphasizes his incredible work ethic, and is excited to see how he continues to progress on the varsity team.

So far, the Boys team has already won against Oakland Mills, Crofton, Howard, Wilde Lake, Reservoir, Hammond, Marriotts Ridge, and Urbana and are sure to have many more wins this season.

The Girls Varsity Basketball coach, Coach Stefan, has similar goals for his team as the season progresses; to improve individual team skills, to play hard and to play up-tempo basketball. On his team this year, Stefan emphasizes the work ethic of his entire team, and anticipates the positive impact it will have on the team as the season progresses. The team is fairly young, with only one Senior, Nicole Bumbray. The team has five juniors; Julia Braganca, Hannah Fapohunda, Ayana Moore, Abigail Porter and Adria Welsh. Three Sophomores; Abby Hitzelberger, Bea Petrlik, and Ava Rudy and one Freshman; Tatiana Machiz. With a strong roster this year, Stefan’s hope is that the team “will stay healthy and show improvement throughout the season.” So far, their accomplishments have been vast. They have already won against Long Reach, Wilde Lake, Winters Mill, Crofton, Reservoir and Marriotts Ridge.

Basketball is a sport that takes a lot of grit, determination, and patience. Each and every player on both of the varsity teams have proved that they have what it takes to be a part of a successful and hard-working team.

yl/hk/rm/ew

For more breaking news and photos, follow The Wingspan on Instagram and Twitter @CHSWingspan.