Centennial Students Participate in Nationwide Walkout

Words: Maddie Wirebach / Photos: Laila Abu-Ghaida

This morning at 10:00 am, Centennial students participated in the nationwide walkout for gun reform.

Braving the bitter temperatures, students held up homemade signs with cries for policy change for seventeen minutes, one minute for each victim in the shooting in Parkland, FL. Sophomore Julia Stitely displayed her support for gun reform with her sign, reading “How many lives have to be lost for you to listen?”

Another sign read, “Fear has no place in our schools.”

Senior Sophie Lovering, who helped make the walkout possible for Centennial students, was very pleased with how things worked out.

“I was pleasantly surprised by the turnout. All of the students who decided to participate were respectful, understood the purpose of the walkout, and returned to class in a timely manner,” said Lovering.

Lovering encouraged the students participating to utilize the power of social media to show their support.

“I know that the pictures/videos taken and conversations started will effectively communicate our pro gun-control message to the local, and hopefully national, community.”

Harshitha Sayini, a junior, admired the power in each poster.

“It was nice to see all the posters made by students encouraging gun reform.”

Sophomore Yousif Omer led a powerful chant, reassuring students that they matter, and so do their opinions.

Flyers were handed out detailing the student-organized trip to the March for Our Lives on Saturday, March 24, in Washington D.C.

For more information about the planning of the event, read here: https://chswingspan.com/2018/03/12/lovering-plans-chs-backed-walkout/

For more breaking news and photos, follow The Wingspan on Instagram and Twitter @CHSWingspan.